Breakfast in Bed Threads: Baked Pears with Cottage Cheese, Walnuts and Honey
Every Sunday this winter, we’ll be sharing a delectable breakfast recipe that will give you (yet another) reason to stay indoors this season. Add these dishes to your repertoire and enjoy as they make their way from occasional treats to regulars on your high rotation. Today’s recipe? Baked pears with cottage cheese, walnuts and honey.
You can certainly pass off this breakfast as a 'healthy option'. It's overflowing with fruit, cheese and nuts, after all, but make no mistake: these baked beauties are totally indulgent. Ideal for a family of fussy eaters (who could complain about these?!), a gathering of friends or just you and one other, if you're compelled to go back for seconds (or thirds).
Prep time: 15-20 mins
- 3 ripe pears of choice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 6 teaspoons soft cottage cheese or blue cheese
- 4 walnuts, to garnish
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Cut the pears in half, and take the seeds out.
- Place pears on a baking dish and drizzle with honey. (How much you'd like is up to you!)
- Place the thyme on top of each pear.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the pear feels soft enough that a fork could easily piece it.
- Remove from the oven to cool.
- Once cooled, mix dried cranberries with either cottage cheese or soft gorgonzola in a separate mixing bowl.
- Place 1 teaspoon of the mixture into each pear, until you're satisfied with how much filling each has. Then, top with walnuts, macadamias or more dried fruit. Finish with a drizzle if honey.
- Serve and enjoy!
Prefer something savoury? Here’s how to make Green Shakshuka with Poached Eggs, Chilli Butter and Spiced Yoghurt.