These Phone Apps Will Actually Help You Sleep
Here at Bed Threads, we're passionate about a good night's sleep (for us and for you). It's been well documented by experts in the field that people getting inadequate amounts of sleep on the regular are at risk of various health issues, and as we all know, if you aren't sleeping well, it doesn't matter how well you eat or how hard you train... everything will fall to the wayside.
There are a number of ways to boost your sleep, many of which we have covered in the pages of this here journal. For example, using soothing essential oils and reading a great book in bed can be enough to lull some into a deep slumber. Still, if your sleep issues persist, the best port of call is your GP, who will be able to advise a correct treatment plan.
Otherwise, if you're the hunt for some help drifting off, consider these nine phone apps, designed to assist in calming the body and giving you the best shot at a full six-to-eight hours each night.
Bloom is like having your very own tropical spa in your pocket. In soothing blue, purple and pink tones, Bloom's interface is enough to get you into a calming mindset.
- Guided meditations to help reduce stressful and anxious thoughts.
- Ambient music to assist with getting to sleep.
- Calming exercises to encourage mindfulness.
- Daily reminders to continue to build positive patterns.
10% Happier: Meditation
10% Happier: Meditation is a fantastic resource for anyone looking to learn to meditate—it's been designed to make meditation fun and accessible (you can even do it on your lunch break).
- Over five-hundred guided meditations on topics like parenting, work, and anxiety.
- A dedicated sleep section with relaxing meditations to get you to sleep (and stay that way).
- Inspiring stories and videos to listen to at night.
- Weekly content to keep you motivated.
There are millions of users across the globe soaking up the benefits of this relaxing app already, and here's why...
- Sleep stories voiced by people like Stephen Fry to help you unwind.
- A wide range of mindfulness topics including forgiveness, gratitude and deep sleep.
- Daily Calm—a new ten-minute program daily to help you get to sleep.
- A catalogue of sleep sounds from heavy rain to campfires.
With so much of our daily interactions taking place through our phones, it makes sense for our diaries to be digital, too. Reflectly uses artificial intelligence to guide you on a personal journey and structure how you view your day and is a nice habit before bed.
- Rate your day based on answering questions posed to you in the app.
- Track progress across the week to look for patterns that emerge.
- Personalised motivational content every morning.
Sanity & Self: Self-Care Guid
This self-care app is designed to remove the shame from previously taboo topics with expert audio guides that users can gain knowledge and inspiration from.
- Over eight-hundred audio sessions on topics like restful sleep, mindfulness, and stress.
- Customisable reminders to keep you on top of your self-care commitments.
- An inbuilt community to share and answer questions on the platform.
- In-app journaling with thought-provoking prompts to help you start.
If you've ever put your head on the pillow and shut your eyes only to find that all you can hear is your own thoughts, then this is the app for you. Noisli is a background noise generator with relaxation in mind.
- A library of unique sounds such as fireplace, thunderstorm, and summer night with owls.
- All sounds are available offline which is perfect for getting some rest while traveling.
- Mix the sounds together to create favourite combis that can be saved and replayed.
- Built-in timer with fade out function for falling asleep.
Headspace's purpose is to teach its users how to meditate, breathe and live mindfully. Through a range of calming topics, including dedicated sleepcasts, the app assists in creating a stress-free life.
- Sleep by Headspace—with an intuitively darker interface and bright buttons.
- SOS sessions for moments of panic, anxiety, and stress.
- Animations to teach you new skills and answer mindfulness questions.
- Track progress and time spent meditating each day.
On the topic of sleep, here are 7 things to do when you can't sleep.